Friday, February 19, 2010

Peso-less in Manila

My recent trip to the Philippines was not without its series of little unfortunate events.

My biggest mistake was that I failed to check that I brought my pesos with me. Duh duh duh, and I can kick myself for this! I confidently packed everything I needed (or so I thought) and even sorted out the currency the night before.

The thing is, for travelling I use a separate purse for the foreign currency as I prefer not to mess up my daily purse. I must have dropped the purse in my room in midst of packing my backpack *mental note to self : clear mess next time*

I only realised that I didn't have all my pesos when I arrived in Pureza station, en route to GV Florida bus terminal in Sampaloc. I wanted to kick myself : how could I not have realised this after buying the bus ticket from Clark, some things from Watson's and dinner as well?

I asked around and was told that the nearest money changer was at a mall 10-15 minutes away, SM something. Braved myself to hail a jeepney (fastest way apparently) only to reach there after it just closed at 8 pm. *gawd* ATM machines were aplenty but I've never used ATMs out of the country before and didn't think it was a good idea anyway. Went around asking some more, still futile.

I decided that I should just head on to the bus terminal and worry about it later. Maybe there are money changers in Banaue. Back in Pureza I asked the tricycle guy if he knows any money changer. In halting English he mentioned the name of a place (Sunshine something?) and said they might still be open till 9 pm or so. He offered to cycle me there and then onwards to the bus station for Php 100. I said I'll pay him that only if I get to change my money and reach the bus station on time (so mean, kan?)Italic So the guy cycled away real fast and within 15 minutes I got my pesos (yeay! not so great rate though, I didn't care much anymore) and another 15 minutes later I was at the bus terminal. Thanked the guy and gave him a tip for his A+ efforts.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, please learn from my mistake and double-check your purses before you leave, ya?

On a lighter note, how was your Valentine? I had this man wish me in Banaue :

No. Just kidding. But the poster banner is scary, no?

7 comments:

  1. Looks like we both had money problems that weekend lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. yeah, sure be careful on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina - yeah, weird coincidence, isn't it? ;)

    JIPP - :) I was lucky I didn't get stranded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back! I think it's these things that make travel exciting. Welcome to the club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The guy in the poster is probably a political candidate in the upcoming Philippine election, ha ha ha! On another note, I use ATMs when I travel - just like in Egypt. I only get charged $1.50 for the transaction by my bank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dennis -

    I should find out how much I get charged for using the ATM overseas. Just in case :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason LT -

    :) Glad to see you're back! Where have you been la? Update please.

    ReplyDelete