OH MY GOD.
Allow me to settle in the shock of realising how long ago I've left this blog inactive. It took me quite a while to figure out how to login, and what my password is, LOL
Anyway, it just crossed my mind to update the UNESCO sites that I have been. The past 2-3 years have felt a bit slow for me in terms of travelling, and I'm hoping to plan a few trips in the near future while keeping the Big Trips dreams alive.
I have that list somewhere in one of my notebooks (probably not updated as well) but I can't find it right now. Here goes, from the top of my head and with Google help:-
1. Kinabalu Park, Malaysia
2. Gunung Mulu Park, Malaysia
3. Georgetown and Melaka, Malaysia
4. Prambanan, Indonesia
5. Borobudur, Indonesia
6. Bali, Indonesia
7. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
8. Hoi Ann, Vietnam
9. Hue, Vietnam
10. Luang Prabang, Laos
11. Baroque churches, The Philippines (2/4)
12. Puerto Princessa Subterranean River, Palawan, The Philippines
13. Vigan Historical City, The Philippines
14. Rice Terraces of the Cordilerras, The Philippines
15. Singapore Botanical Gardens
16. Mausoleum of the First Qin Emperor (Terracotta Army), Xi'an, China
17. Red Fort, Delhi, India
18. Humayun Tomb, Delhi, India
19. Qutb Minar, Delhi, India
20. Taj Mahal, Agra, India
21. Agra Fort, Agra, India
22. Jantar Mantar, Jaipur, India
23. Petra, Jordan
24. Bethany beyond the Jordan, Jordan
25. Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
26. Chitwan, Nepal
27. Lumbini, Nepal
28. Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka
29. Kandy, Sri Lanka
30. Galle Fort, Sri Lanka
31. Sigiraya, Sri Lanka
32. Dambulla, Sri Lanka
33. Central Highlands of Sri Lanka
34. Damascus, Syria
35. Aleppo, Syria
36. Palmyra, Syria
37. Crac des Chevaliers and Qalat Salah El Din, Syria
38. Goreme and Cappadocia, Turkey
39. Historic Areas of Istanbul, Turkey
40. Hierapolis-Pamukkale, Turkey
41. Ephesus, Turkey
42. Tower of London, UK
43. Westminster Abbey, London, UK
44. Liverpool, UK
45. Macao, China
After my trip to Bagan in 2013, I became more convinced that the World Heritage List isn't something that is ... 'fair'; for want of a better word. It just seemed really strange to me to not have Bagan on that list, regardless their reasons (something to do with authenticity and restoration standards etc).
Reading random travel blogs led me to learn of many not-so-popular, off-the-beaten-path kind of places, activities and trips. This appeals to me on many levels, and encourages me to not limit my motivation to lists and popular recommendations.
My favourite random find so far - Batanes. I can say absolutely that for Batanes, 'it started with a picture, then a pursuit ensued'. Such a beautiful place!
With the not-so-great currency rates in recent times, I think I would like to look at re-visiting our neighbours again in the next year. Keep on dreaming!
Amen. Amen. Amen.