Monday, January 11, 2010

Cambodia : Done and Dusted

My 2010 travel calendar kicked off with my first trip for the year, which was to Cambodia in the past week.

Finally, finally, finally Angkor Wat became a reality :)

I managed to cover the temple circuit in Siem Reap and also spent 3 days 2 nights at Phnom Penh. Armed with a whole load of information from blogs, books, friends, TV; it felt a little weird at first seeing all the places for real as I felt that I have become so 'familiar' with them.

Break of dawn. It was so dusty everywhere (look at my shoes). In winter, the mornings and evenings are comfortably cool though. Daytime, it's hot and the sun was blindingly bright.

Align Center
Sunrise over Angkor Wat was almost surreal. (Hmm, I just realised that I look like I was going to school)

Waiting for sunset at Phnom Bakheng. It was very crowded on top, all seating places were taken by the time sunset came around.

One of the many many faces at Bayon. I didn't count though I did try to study the subtle differences in expressions and smiles.

The beautiful red citadel of Banteay Srey.

Ta Prohm. I was surrounded by Japanese and Korean tourists hence the pose.

Italic
Toured the Royal Palace, Phnom Penh. Also visited Tuol Sleng and the Killing Fields, which affected me for a while afterwards.

Anyway, I had a really good time and can't wait to post more on the trip later. For now, I have to get back to work and clear some stuff first.

Later, alligators!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow.. You went there! Tell us more about Cambodia k. I haven't been there myself. Need first-hand experiences.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, the pictures bring back memories...Bayon -54 towers with giant faces looking out to four cardinal directions. My fav were the Angkor Wat and Bayon. Did you go to Ta Keo? and managed the Tonle Sap? can't wait for more stories of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JIPP - yupp, will post more later when I'm done with my workload. Cambodia/Siem Reap is a must go.

    Hi Debs - Yes I did stop by at Ta Keo too. Tonle Sap - went there on my first day, the water levels were very low though. Nanti I continue my posts..

    ReplyDelete