Thursday, July 23, 2009

Delhi Belly and Things Like That

A former boss once said of people who suffer diarrhoea, 'Aiya, you people have weak stomach. Not strong!'

Haha.

I am lucky that I do not have a weak or a sensitive stomach. *touch wood* Reading about Delhi Belly and other such sufferings when on the road does make me worry sometimes. The last time I suffered a bad one (not from travelling though) I was in bed for 2 full days and thought it was the worse kind of suffering due to the dehydration and erm, frequent visits to the loo.

Every time I'm somewhere else, I will try the local food. As in, eat what and where the locals eat as long as it looks reasonable in terms of cleanliness and presentation. Usually I'll venture out and try the hawker stalls/street food, as well as the food courts.

In Bangkok, I found the most wonderful, pile-it-high som tam and various sweet desserts at the night market. In Phuket, I had a most flavourful pad thai and other stuff in the Old Town. Even in KL, I love the Nasi Lemak Jalan Alor and the Petaling Street Air Mata Kucing. Penang, Malacca : needs no introduction nor explanation.

So far, so good.

I am cautious with drinking water though, so usually I'll go for bottled, canned or hot drinks most of the time. To be safe, I'm thinking that I should also bring some of those Lomotil pills and rehydration tablets, just in case.

Looking forward to sample other street foods in other places in the next few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment