Monday, May 17, 2010

Bitten by the Yoga Bug

As I have free weekends during this non-travelling period, I signed myself up for a Beginners' Yoga class.

We're just about halfway through the 10 week course and I am enjoying it immensely. So much so that I crashed the Advanced Class twice, haha. I must say that I do feel better, both mentally and physically. After the first session I did feel some side effects - dizziness and nausea, which are quite common for first timers I was told due to the stretches and twists for detoxification.

Some poses are challenging for me (like the Camel, the shoulder stand) but yoga is not about competition, it's all up to you how much you are able to do.

My favourite so far is the extended triangle and the Warrior variations. I'd like to share some of the basic poses we've learnt, taken from here.

  1. Yoga for a headache. This is the simplest pose I will suggest today. Legs up the wall pose is great for headaches. The pose is simple – place a towel by the wall; lie on your back with your hips/butt on the towel; put your legs up the wall. Close your eyes, breathe, and relax. Stay in the pose for 5 minutes (or more). If you want more intensity, pile a few towels instead of just one.
  2. Yoga for energy. I like bridge pose to re-energize. Exhale as you push your pelvis up towards the ceiling. You can stay in the pose for about a minute, breathing deeply. To release, exhale and slowly roll your spine back onto the ground. You should feel revitalized and stimulated.
  3. Yoga for sore feet. Take off your shoes as soon as you get in the house. Go barefoot as often as you can. And step into downward facing dog pose a few times every day. I do this pose in my kitchen, my living room, and even at the office when I’m there alone.Press your heels towards the ground – you can bend your knees to facilitate this. Your shoulders should stay down your back (meaning they should lift up towards the ceiling). Think about putting your shoulder blades into your back pockets.
  4. Yoga for depression. When you’re feeling down after a rough day, child’s pose can ease your mind and improve your mood. Spread your knees and sink back into your hips. Breathe deeply and enjoy the stillness.
  5. Yoga for a backache. I sit at a desk all day long. I stare at a screen work, for my hobbies (this blog), for reading news, and even when I’m learning something new. When my back aches, I add in an extended triangle pose to my routine.In the pose, your inner thighs should be pulling towards each other. Stretch your arm towards the ceiling and look past your thumb. Stretch your arm parallel to the floor by your ear (keeping your shoulder down) for an extra stretch. Stay in the pose for 5 deep breaths.

2 comments:

  1. wow, this is great! I've heard a lot about Yoga being such a good way of exercising both mentally and physically. I was expecting it'd be u in the pics. hehe. Kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JIPP - you should try it once and see. About the pics, alamak, sorry to disappoint you, haha :) I think people in my class are too shy to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete